Educational Psychology Module One
Module One: Chapter 1-3 of Woolfolk
Summary:
In chapter one of Educational Psychology by Woolfolk, I learned about different methods of teaching such as expert teachers and reflective teachers. A quote that really stuck out to me in chapter one was "Teaching is one of the few professions in which a new teacher might assume all of the responsibilities of an experienced "pro" during the first week on the job. Veteran teachers can be an excellent source of information and support during these early weeks" (Woolfolk, pg. 8, 2004). My copy of the book may be outdated, but the concepts still stand. Chapter one is very research-based and discussed descriptive approaches to educational studies and psychology.
Chapter two is more based on cognitive development and language. I noticed a plethora of developments and the book really helped freshen my memory on physical, personal, social, and cognitive development. this chapter also gives the reader three general principles of development. These are: people develop at different rates; development is relatively orderly, and development takes place gradually. Lastly, something I took from this chapter that I was briefly introduced to in the past was specific areas of the brain. This chapter discusses different roles of the brain and what each section does and the role they play in development. There are also theories in this chapter that have been embedded in my studies here at Trinity and the book does an amazing job of discussing Piaget's Theory of Cognitive Development and Vygotsky's Sociocultural Perspective.
Chapter three dives into personal, social, and moral development. This chapter, it begins to focus on Erikson and the different challenges students may face. We also learn about socialization and its effect on family, peers, and teachers as well as understanding ourselves and others.
Reflection:
I have been introduced to many of these theories, concepts, and definitions in high school and college. I feel like I have been prepared for these chapters to an extent. However, this textbook goes in-depth on many things that I would not have thought of when thinking about education. Something I mentioned in one of my comments on a discussion post was that teachers are seen as "all-knowing" and that they don't mess up. However, this book reminded me that we need to be prepared for everything, even if we are scared of ourselves. In my personal life, my boyfriend wants to become a police officer. We have had discussions about school emergencies and lockdown drills. As a teacher, we are the first line of defense and must protect our students and that idea can be scary. We also are the ones who may deal with an identity crisis in a student or a fellow teacher. All in all, these chapters gave me confidence in my ability to be a teacher who can identify different areas of development and can adapt if necessary.
Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteFor the summaries I like how you added what you took from that in that part, but that is where you could also put it in the reflection from reflecting on the chapters. Another thing I liked was how you broke each chapter up and talked about each one rather then putting them together. Many things can be taken way from these chapters from every person, classmate, and student. I agree on how the chapters talk about things in depth as well as explaining it more. I have learned a little psychology from a previous college so I know a few things and also was surprised to see them in this textbook, and how that could be see in the education point of view.
In the reflection part of your blog, I forgot that teachers are the defense in emergency situations, not like I am scared about it, though I might be a little bit. Teachers need to be alert at all times, and know what is going on around them, like driving a car. Even though in schools they test fire drills and tornado drills to keep the students informed on how they work and where we go. To some it may be funny at first, but as a teacher it will be different. Thank you for bring this back to my attention.