Educational Psychology Module 3
Module 3 Blog Post
Woolfolk Chapters 7 and 13
Summary:
Chapter 7 discusses 'Cognitive Views of Learning' and some subtopics of this are cognitive perspective, information processing, long-term memory, and memory, regulation, and individual differences. There were a lot of definitions that were new to me in this chapter and a few stuck out to me. Some things that I have touched base on in previous courses were chunking, sematic, and schema. These definitions and practices will probably always be confusing to me, but this book took the time to explain them. This chapter also tells us about the three metacognitive skills which are planning, monitoring, and evaluation.
Chapter 13 discusses 'Teaching for Self-Regulation, Creativity, and Tolerance' and I learned what self-regulation and volition are. Self-regulation is defined as the "process of activating and sustaining thoughts, behaviors, and emotions in order to reach goals." Volition is willpower or self-discipline. I see self-regulation and volition every day in the classroom as well as creativity. In the summary table from Chapter 13, a question is posed. This question is, "what can teachers do to support creativity in the classroom?" To answer that in a sentence, I would say that teachers need to accept the unthinkable in order to allow students to learn.
Reflection:
In order to enhance learning, we need to promote learning. In order to do this, teachers need to use their own creativity to show as a stepping stone for students to share theirs. If a teacher has a colorless classroom, the energy and creativity will be less likely to flow. I personally believe that thinking outside of the box will allow cognitive strength as well as creativity and students will have a more positive outlook on school and life.
I liked your reflection on these chapters. I do agree with promoting learning. It is so important to promote it because we can influence students to want to do things and grow their knowledge. Getting students go have a positive outlook on school is always important. When a student does not like being in school, and you reinforce that idea, they will never enjoy school again. Having a positive environment for students to learn is so important, and very easy to do.
ReplyDeleteTeaching self regulation when educating the child is extremely important and should be done in order to bette help that child with their journey. I like how you gave a variety of examples from the text.
ReplyDelete